Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Chocolate Banana Waffles


I frequently use meals my husband isn't home for to make the foods he deems gross.  If you asked my husband what his gross foods are bananas would be near the top of the list (along with peanut butter, but that just makes me too sad to talk about).  I like bananas, but since I'm the only one eating them there are always a couple from the bunch that over ripen before I finish them.  I often slice them up and freeze them for breakfast smoothies in the summer, but making a smoothie when it's cold outside never really sounds appealing to me.  So I decided to go a different breakfast route this time and mash them up for some waffles.  When I was flipping through my cookbooks to see if there were any banana waffle recipes, I found one on the same page as a chocolate waffle recipe.  Which was just fate, really.  Not nearly as fast and healthy as a smoothie, but definitely worth it.



Chocolate Banana Waffles
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Fourth Printing
(Makes 4 - 5 Waffles)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cups mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Banana slices, powdered sugar, and maple syrup for serving

Preheat & lightly oil waffle maker.  In a large bowl stir together flours, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In a smaller bowl or one quart measuring cup whisk together milk, mashed banana, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla.  Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients until blended. 
Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a handheld mixer, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Gently fold egg whites into batter until incorporated.
Pour 1 cup of batter into prepared waffle maker and cook according to manufacturers directions.  Repeat with remaining batter, lightly oiling waffle maker in between each waffle.
For serving top with banana slices, powdered sugar, and maple syrup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Print

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio