Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Apple Cider Cranberry Sauce


I make cranberry sauce every year at Thanksgiving and every year I change the recipe slightly.  I started with the basic cranberry/water/sugar combo listed on the back of the bag of cranberries and since then have tried replacing the water with juice, changing the sugars, adding spices, etc. all in the search for the recipe that I would want to keep making every year at the holidays.  This year I think I finally got it right, and it is just as simple to make as the original recipe. 

The apple cider provides a bit of extra flavor which is enhanced by the addition of the brown sugar, but you still get the tart cranberry flavor that the more basic recipe has.  Of course if you prefer the flavor of cinnamon or other spices in your cranberry sauce this recipe would lend itself well to those add-ins.  I've listed two different measurements for granulated sugar in the recipe below, I used 1/2 cup which makes a fairly tart sauce, if you like your cranberry sauce a little sweeter use the 2/3 cup measurement.  If you have any leftovers after Thanksgiving save 1/4 cup for the cranberry vinaigrette recipe I'll be posting after Thanksgiving.
  
Apple Cider Cranberry Sauce
Adapted from Ocean Spray

12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup apple cider
1/2 to 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar

Bring sugars and apple cider to a boil in a saucepan.  Add cranberries, reduce heat to a medium low, and simmer for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally until the cranberries begin to pop.  Remove from heat and cool.  Don't worry if it looks too thin, it will thicken significantly as it cools.  Refrigerate before serving. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Print

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio