Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I have a roasted cauliflower recipe bookmarked even though neither my husband nor myself really like cauliflower.  I suppose I figured I'd try it at some point but I haven't.  Then I was at the grocery store the other day and bought this:


It's a Brussels sprout tree, which I realize is a pretty strange impulse buy, but once it was sitting in my fridge I had to actually use it.  Especially since it was taking up my entire veggie drawer.  Apparently you can cook the whole tree (really? I still don't quite trust the internet on that one), but I figured if I set that on the dinner table my husband would think I'd fallen completely off my rocker.  And probably order a pizza.  So I opted to just cut the sprouts off pre-cooking.

I've roasted Brussels sprouts before so I figured the cauliflower recipe would adapt well for the sprouts.  If you don't have marjoram an equal measure of oregano should work fine.  Since the tree had some rather large Brussels sprouts I opted to cut them in half, but if your sprouts are small you may want to just leave them whole, or reduce the roasting times.  This recipe was pretty much impossible to get a good picture of, the dark color from the roasting coupled with the balsamic vinegar makes every photo look like a bowl fill of burnt sprouts, but they taste a lot better than my poor photography skills make them look.  In fact they were good enough to make me almost willing to try the same recipe for the cauliflower.  Maybe.



Balsamic and Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from Eating Well
(Serves 4)

1 lb Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Remove any yellowed outer leaves from Brussels sprouts, then cut sprouts in half.  Combine sprouts in a large bowl with olive oil, marjoram, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.  Spread onto prepared baking sheet and roast for 20  to 25 minutes until beginning to brown.  Remove from oven, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese, then return to oven and roast 10 minutes longer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Print

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio